(A) Whole Egg - 1 no
Egg Yolks - 6 nos
Corn Oil - 55g
Orange Juice - 95g
Brandy (optional) - 1 Tbsp
Zest of 1 or 2 oranges
Salt - pinch
(B) Superfine (sifted) - 90g
(C) Egg White - 240g
Cream of Tartar - pinch
Castor Sugar - 85g
*(I used brown sugar. You may increase the amount to 90g if using brown sugar or use the same amount for a less sweet cake)
- Preheat oven at 180C with a tray of hot water.
- Wrap a 8"x8" square cake pan with aluminum foil, if using loose-bottom pan.
- Whisk egg, egg yolks, orange zest and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually add in corn oil follow by orange juice and brandy (if using).
- Fold in flour (2-3 times). Set aside.
- Whisk egg white and cream of tartar, gradually add in sugar. Whisk until peak (not stiff peak). Fold into the above batter (2-3 times)
- Pour (5) into cake pan, gently tap the pan to level the batter and remove excess air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake at 180C for 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 160C and bake for another 10 minutes. Further reduce the temperature again to 140C and continue to bake for another 45-50 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack, wait for 10 minutes, unmould. Let cool completely on wire rack